Friday, November 14, 2014

Blog Assignment #5

In the past several decades, online piracy and illegal file sharing have become huge problems for the government and various industries involved. Each year, internet users download songs, games, movies, and more without paying. While most people involved don't think its "that big of a deal," there are plenty of negative consequences: profit losses for artists/actors/musicians, copyright infringements, viruses, and more.

So, what can be done about this issue? How can the media and/or the government deal with this type of activity? It's a difficult question and the there's no easy answer. However, I have a few ideas that I believe might help.

1. Drastically lower the standard prices of digital and streaming content.  If prices for songs, games, and movies were lowered, people might not feel inclined to "steal" them for free. Many people are still struggling financially these days and as many people say, times are tough. So if prices for media content were more reasonable, I think that some illegal downloaders would be able to afford to legally buy something. Media providers might say that they would lose profits from lower prices, but the truth is they are already losing profits to illegal downloaders as well.

2. Let consumers choose their own price for media content. Personally, I'm more inclined to pay for a CD or movie if I can choose the price I feel is fair. One of my favorite musical artists, Pretty Lights, lets anyone download his CDs for free on his website. However, there's an option to pay if you feel inclined to. I became a fan of Pretty Lights by checking out his music for free, however, I now pay for each new CD because I feel that it is worth it.

3. The government should focus more on educating illegal downloaders of the consequences of their actions. Instead of threatening with severe punishments, what if the government launched a campaign to show people how they were hurting the music, movie, and art industries by their illegal downloads? People may then understand why what they are doing is wrong. I believe out of all my ideas, this may be the weakest. It might backfire if not done correctly.

What do you think of my solutions? Anything you would do differently? 

2 comments:

  1. Josh,

    I like your first option. I actually consider that an option as well. By reducing the price of the music, users might have more access to buy it and might think twice about downloading the same content. Also, yes, artist might complain about their profit, but as you mention, they are already loosing profit no matter what. In fact, by reducing the price of media content, they might back get something back. I also agree with your third option. I think that education about the complexity of downloading illegal content is very scarce. I think that by actually educating users there might be a second though before downloading something online. The problem is not so much of what the government can do after users download, but what it can be done before it happens. I think education about the topic is a first step in trying to stop this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    I definitely agree with your solution to drastically lowering the standard prices of digital and streaming content. The truth of the matter is that this is still a struggling economy, and the average user just does have the money to spend hundreds of dollars for music. If prices were more reasonable, people would not turn to illegal downloading nearly as much. Another thing that I liked was your suggestion on showing people how they are hurting other people with their illegal downloads. I believe that a large percentage of people would think twice about their actions when they realize the trouble they are causing other people.

    ReplyDelete